events/picnics & bbqs
Cornwall Park is a perfect place for your next gathering and we look forward to welcoming you!
If you are planning an event or activity for more than 30 people, we require you to book your event with us. This includes schools, community groups and all individual gatherings.
To ensure we stay respectful to all park users and enable everyone to enjoy the park, we limit group numbers and the equipment you can bring with you. We do not allow any commercial or corporate events at Cornwall Park, and due to the public nature of the park we can’t guarantee exclusive use of any particular area.
Please note that Maungakiekie/One Tree Hill Domain is administered by Tūpuna Maunga Authority and Auckland Council. Any use of it must be directed to Auckland Council on (09) 301 0101.
Please take a careful look at the details below to see if Cornwall Park is the best spot for your event or download our event info pack here.
- As Cornwall Park is a public space, we are unable to provide an exclusive or private experience — we will make a note of your group but cannot guarantee your chosen area will be available. Therefore, flexibility is required.
- Maximum 50 people.
- One 3x3m marquee can be used but please don’t tie it to trees or peg it into the ground (weights can be used).
- Please do not tie or staple anything else on to our trees or peg anything into the ground.
- Small groups (30) can bring seating and tables into the park.
- Please do not use tarpaulins for seating — this damages the grass. Picnic blankets and weaved mats are okay.
- Vehicles are not permitted to park on the grass at any time.
- Commercial caterers or food trucks are not permitted at Cornwall Park.
- Limited bus permits are available for groups entering Cornwall Park. Once your event is approved, we will send you a map and a bus permit to be displayed while in the park.
- If planning a company event, you are unable to display any corporate signage during the event, or have branded marquees and so on.
- No signage can be placed around the park to show people where to go. We suggest sharing a map of your location for guests.
*Exceptions on maximum numbers can be made for non-peak times such as a week day during the day or some autumn/winter periods. Please contact us if you feel your event is out of peak-times to discuss.
BBQs at Cornwall Park
- There are three areas in Cornwall Park with free BBQ facilities (please see map). There are six wood-burning BBQs and 4 gas BBQs within the park. You can read more about them in our See & Do section.
- You cannot book the BBQs or picnic tables exclusively as they are open to everyone.
- Free wood is provided for the wood BBQs but please bring your own equipment to light the fire.
- Gas is provided free of charge for the gas BBQs and they operate by simply pressing a button, giving you approximately 10 minutes of cooking time (the process can be repeated for longer cooking times).
- You can use the BBQs for as long as you like but please be mindful of other people who wish to use them. Demand can be high in the summer months.
- Our BBQs can get very busy. You are welcome to bring your own gas BBQ into the park as long as they sit off the ground and you do not put them under low-hanging trees.
- Coal BBQs are allowed in the park but only in the paved wood BBQ area and only on the paved area. Coal BBQs are NOT permitted anywhere else or on any grass area. All coal must be removed from the park and not left in rubbish bins where it can become a hazard.
Risk management of your event
Cornwall Park follows a robust health and safety programme. As the event organiser you are responsible for the health and safety of any employees, volunteers and for the participants at your event. It is your responsibility to address and manage any potential hazards, including what you may bring or create onsite. Where Cornwall Park has specific knowledge of hazards on a given site, the park will notify you of those hazards and request acknowledgement.
Please obey all Cornwall Park rules and follow any advice given by park staff, security or emergency services personnel, prior to or before your event.
Activity dependent, we will ask you to please supply your health and safety plan and evidence of current public liability insurance.
The Cornwall Park Trust Board reserves the right to cancel any bookings that fail to comply with the conditions or are deemed unsafe at any time before the event.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss your event — we would be happy to chat about the best spot for you in the park.
The next steps:
- Complete the application form.
- We will contact you with any questions or to give approval.
- Enjoy your event at Cornwall Park!